Search This Blog

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Coconut Oil Hair Mask

I've been hearing things all over YouTube and the internet about coconut oil lately, about how it's so amazing for your skin and hair and how it can even make your eyelashes grow!  Curious, I picked up a tub of it at Costco a few weeks ago and have been experimenting with it.

So far I'm really liking it.  It has a light nutty scent that isn't overpowering and doesn't smell like fake "coconut" scents cosmetic companies tell you smells like coconut.  I'm also such a child inside, because I think it's super cool how it starts out solid and then melts into liquid with your body heat.

Starts as solid coconut oil

Then melts with your body heat to become liquid coconut oil!


Last night I tried it out as a hair mask.  I scooped out a few teaspoons and let them melt in my hands before applying it to my scalp and down the shaft of my hair.  I initially started out with my hair up in a high bun, but I couldn't sleep like that and had to take it out around 3 am. 

In the morning, I thought it would be more difficult to get out of my hair, but it rinsed clean after just one round of lather with the shampoo.  I still applied regular conditioner to my hair after, and it felt super slick and soft in the shower.  Once I dried it with the hair dryer about 75% of the way, I couldn't tell much of a difference though and got disappointed.

Then it was time to head off to a photoshoot while my hair air dried the rest of the way.  By the time I got there, my hair was 100% dry and felt very soft and smooth.  It didn't frizz up, even though it was rainy/misty out.  I still think that if I wanted a super slick look though I'd opt to dry it all the way and then flat iron it to make it really smooth.

I haven't noticed it helping my lashes grow yet, but I've only used it a few times a week for two weeks, so it hasn't had time to kick in yet I guess.  I took a before photo, so in a month or so I'll take another an compare and let you know if I think it's a good DIY lash growth recipe or not.

Have you used coconut oil for your hair before?  Did you like it?  Tell me about your experiences with coconut oil hair masks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...