Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

New Skin Care Routine For Brightening

With winter coming to a close and the weather sllllooooooowwwwwllllyyyyyy warming up, I decided that it's time to switch up my skincare routine again.  I wanted to test some products that help to reduce dead skin build up and resurface the skin for a brighter complexion.  Three main ingredients for this are retinols and glycolic acid (for resurfacing) and Vitamin C (for brightening).  I decided to test-run two different brands/regimines on opposite sides of my face to see which gave a better overall look to my skin.

Here is the photo of my skin starting out on March 22nd. I took this with my iPod at night in my bathroom before putting on the skincare. If I'd thought about it, I would have used a better camera and lighting, but since this is the original image I took I've got to keep it consistent with all the other images to show a realistic change from the products.

Day 1


On the left side of my face (so the right side of the photo) I'm using the Vitamin C with glycolic acid based products.  On the right side of my face, I'm using the retinol based products.  I've detailed the steps below with some product images for you.



Night time:

1. Makeup removal- Roc Max Resurfacing Facial Cleanser. I only use this on days when I've worn makeup, so about 2-3 times a week.  Otherwise, I just use some toner to remove dirt and oil from normal daytime activities.  I use this with my Oil of Olay spinning brush.



2. Left Side- Skin Renew Dark Spot Overnight Peel. Some nights I'll use the Hydroxytone Power Lift moisturizer if my skin is feeling a little dry, but that was only the first few days.

3. Right Side- Retinol Correxion Sensitive Night Cream.



Day time:

1. All over my face- Boots Expert Sensitive Hydrating Serum.  Just a pea size amount.  It has aloe in it, which helps sooth my skin from the effects of the glycolic acid and retinol.

2. Left Side- Skin Renew Clinical Dark Spot Correction Moisturizer on my face.  Boots No 7 Beautiful Skin Rich Hydrating Eye Cream on eyes.

3. Right Side- No 7 Beautiful Skin Day Cream for Normal/Dry Skin with SPF 15 on my face. 
Retinol Correxion Sensitive Eye Cream
 on eyes.

4. All over my face- SPF 35.  Since retinols and glycolic acid are very sensitizing to the sun, it's essential that you wear sunscreen over it to avoid hyperpigmentation and burning from occurring.  Even though the Boots day cream I'm wearing on my right side has SPF, I put the SPF 35 all over to give added protection.

Here is what my skin looks like after 7 days and 8 nights of use.  The photos don't do the surface texture any justice!  My skin has never felt so smooth!  It's seriously amazing.  On BOTH sides of my face.  I'm pretty amazed right now.  Although, one downside I've noticed is how much my face is peeling if I rub at it.  When the surface is freshly moisturized, if I rub at it, the skin will start to ball up and flake off.  Same thing would happen mid-day for the first week.  I'm a few days past that right now, so the middle of the day peeling has gone away, but it was really weird.  It's completely normal with any retinol or glycolic program, as that's what it's designed to do- slough off dead skin.

Day 7
I haven't notice much help in the dark circles department, but the area is definitely very hydrated from the Boots No 7 cream, and I've noticed fewer fine lines on the side with the Roc eye cream.  I think using the Roc one at night and a Vitamin C and caffeine infused one for the day time would be the perfect combo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...