Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Product Review- Kat Von D Lock It Tattoo Foundation

Kat Von D Lock It Tattoo Foundation


I first got to try this product out back in March where I was part of a team of artists getting a bunch of models ready for an event at a nightclub.  Several high class liquor brands had rented out a club, and each floor had their own set of models handing out samples to the VIP members.  It was pretty cool, and I really enjoyed working on that project.  The models were all required to cover their tattoos, and since I had my airbrush machine with me, I spent quite a while covering minor tattoos on shoulder blades and the like.  Then, one model came over with her entire shoulder blade on one side done and a brand new tattoo on the other shoulder blade... plus the top of her right foot.  I knew the airbrush wasn't going to cover it.

Enter the Kat Von D Lock It Tattoo Foundation!  One of the artists had purchased a shade on the lighter end of the spectrum to try out, but the pigmentation and consistency covered the tattoos so well we decided to use it anyway as a base and then either airbrush her skin color over the top or use something else to darken it.  We ended up using a MAC pressed powder patted over the surface with a blush brush to darken it a few shades, and it blended perfectly!  We soon had a crowd of the models hovering around us as we worked, all oohin'g and aaahin'g about how amazing the coverage was.  I don't know how the foundation held up through the night with the sweat and rubbing I'm sure she experienced having to navigate crowds of VIP's in a nightclub, but the coverage was pretty amazing.

So the next day I headed to my local Sephora for a bottle in my shade to try out as a regular foundation.  I don't know what's up with the display case at Sephora, because it was almost impossible to get to the boxes of foundation in the back.  The top shelf was so low, and all the boxes were dirty from people testing out the foundation on their hands then trying to reach back for a box.  I didn't find a shade that was absolutely perfect, but I got the best option they had.  I'm fairly neutral for being so fair, so a lot of brands have the unfortunate thinking that all us fair chicks are also very pink.  Which for the record I find ridiculous.  If my face is showing pinkness, why the heck would I want to add more pink on top?  I'd want to neutralize that right?  Oh, well.  Almost every brand out there has a bottle of pale pepto colored foundation I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.  But I digress.


From the company:  

What it is:
A high-pigment foundation for full coverage with a long-lasting, beautiful finish.

What it does:
Kat created this foundation to provide exceptional coverage, without compromising a smooth, striking finish. Formulated with 21 percent pigment, this powerful formula was developed to match a broad range of skintones with bold coverage—the proprietary pigments can even effectively cover tattoos. The combination of raw materials and the best siliconic elastomers and siliconic esters provide 24-hour wear with transfer resistance. Natural polymers absorb oil for a matte, soft finish and the added emollients provide a velvety texture for perfectly smooth, hydrated skin.

What it is formulated WITHOUT:
- Parabens
- Synthetic Fragrances

What else you need to know:
This foundation has been formulated to work synergistically with Kat’s Rehab Priming Elixir, Tattoo Concealer, and Lock ‘N Load Setting Mist.

My Take: 

I've used the foundation several times now, and I love how it makes my freckles just disappear!  It's so heavily pigmented, they really just disappear.  It does look best for a full face of makeup, because with that kind of coverage there's really no "I'm not wearing makeup" looks possible, but it's great for people that don't mind full coverage foundations.  It doesn't look heavy and cakey though unless you really pile it on.  I like using my dampened blender sponge, and two pumps will cover my whole face and then some.  I don't know about the whole claim of 24 hour wear, as I take my foundation off at night before bed, but it didn't settle or fade away by the end of a 12+ hour day.

You can see the color doesn't match my hand perfectly, but my face is a tad bit darker due to all my freckling.  For a heavier coverage foundation, I tend to go a bit darker to really cover them up without looking too pasty. This one is a little on the peachy side vs pinky, which is fine for me, although I'd prefer a true neutral.


Overall, I really like this for days when I want a really flawless no freckled look to my skin.  While I do like my full coverage foundations, this isn't an everyday foundation for me.  I just checked it out online, and most of the colors are out of stock.  I'd check your local Sephora ASAP if you want to get your hands on a bottle, as I'm not sure why it's so out of stock and would be worried they're going to discontinue it.  Either that or there are supply issues.  Either way, it's a great foundation for covering large areas of tattoos on the body for a professional makeup artist, and I can see me getting a few shades for my kit if they ever come back in stock online.

**Disclaimer: As with all my product reviews, I was not paid by the cosmetic company to provide feedback or review/promote their products.  All the opinions expressed in this article are my own.  These items were purchased with my own money.

7 comments:

  1. I'm thinking about trying out this foundation for going out at night. Have you tried the concealer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like for me this would be too heavy for everyday wear, but I imagine it would be a good foundation to keep for special occasions. I'd love to try her concealer though, I bet they would be perfect for my insanely dark circles! Jordan | Boho Vanity

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to try the product. It's always sold out at Sephora so it must be fabulous! Thanks so much for stopping by my page.

    I'm following you on BlogLovin! If you could follow my blog with GF and follow me on BlogLovin that would be great hun!

    xx, Gina

    http://www.lipglossonmylatte.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use GF, but I'm following you on Bloglovin'! :)

      I heard they just stopped carrying it at Sephora, so I'm not sure where it's going to be available anymore. They've stopped carrying the entire line. :( I really wanted to try the concealer, and get a darker shade of the foundation for summer.

      Delete
  4. So do you think this foundation would resist very hot and humid climates? Is it really transfer resistance? Thanks. Thinking of adding it to my kit for bridal in very hot climates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be pretty resistant, but I haven't tried it. It's in my "winter" shade, so I'm usually not fair enough in the summer to wear it. But with the weather heading into summer, now would be a great chance to buy it and test it out!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...