Then I discovered the "beauty blender style sponge". The original is called the
Beauty Blender™. It came out a few years ago, but I never paid much attention to it. I got one as a gift from someone once and didn't even take it out of the package. Through some industry friends, I found out about a generic version online from Qosmedix.com, and I decided to buy a few (since they are only about $2 a piece there) for friends and stick them in with the makeup gift baskets I'd made for them that Christmas. I had an extra one laying around for myself, and this past October I tried it out for the first time. I wasn't impressed. But little did I know, I was using it incorrectly! The most important thing to remember is to use it wet, and use it to dab the makeup on the surface of the skin! It made all the difference in the world. Now I don't use anything else to apply my foundation, and it's changed the way my makeup wears on my skin for the better.
Here's how I compare the "original" to the "generic" version:
* The generic version has an indent in the center of the egg shape which makes it perfect for blending and softening out the edge of your makeup around the jawline and smoothing down the sides of the nose.
* The generic version is available in either pink (perfect for girly girls) or black (which doesn't exactly hide the dirtiness the way you'd think). Either color will have some staining that even the amazing original Beauty Blender™ sponge cleaner can't remove. Once the sponge starts to break down and not work well, it's time to toss it, but with regular cleaning, you can reuse it over and over and over!
Now for the Step by Step to applying your foundation with the sponge:
- Wet your sponge thoroughly with water, then squeeze out as much as you can. The sponge will swell to twice it's size and give you ample surface area to apply your foundation with.
- Apply your moisturizer and primer to the skin and allow it to sink in. In my YouTube tutorial, I used Ren Ultra Moisture Day Cream and Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Primer.
- Apply some foundation to the back of your hand and dip the flat "butt" of the sponge into the foundation. I used Benefit's "Hello Flawless!" Oxygen Wow Liquid Foundation in Ivory.
- Start in the center of your face to the side of your nose and start patting the foundation onto the surface of the skin. Work your way to the outside of your face, applying the foundation in areas where you need the most coverage.
- Use the pointed end to smooth out any edges under your eyes and around the nostrils and the indented side to smooth out the edge around your jawline and down the sides of your nose.